Sunday, February 3, 2008

A Hero for the Neurotic in All of Us

Peter Parker, like most of us, swings moods more often than he swings webs. He is the neurotic in all of us, without the caricature of neurosis that allows us to laugh unselfconsciously at Woody Allen and George Costanza. Like most of us, Peter worries about paying the rent, about getting the girl, and about the acuity of his moral sense: does he do good for its own sake, or to buoy his own sense of self-worth?

Pete’s neuroses sometimes get the better of him; at certain moments of his career, they have crippled him physically, robbing him of his ability to stick to walls and lift car-weight loads over his head. But he always returns to the antidote of humour: he can make a crack about Doc Ock’s bowl-cut at the same time he’s stopping the villain from destroying New York City. In the darkest moments, he lightens the mood by sheer force of will. Peter’s ability to overcome the big and little troubles of life makes him heroic, in a way that makes the “super” prefix almost superfluous.

(Note: I wrote up this meditation on Spider-Man for submission to the "In Character" blog on NPR.com. It doesn't include a direct quotation as these entries normally do, and so I hope you'll forgive me for this rare contravention of the blog rules.)

2 comments:

JJJJ9! said...

Mr. Kirley!...Or at least I think it's the Mr.Kirley I know...(If it's not, then I guess I'm making a foof of myself, but oh well.)

I guess this is a weird way of talking to you, but I hardly see you at school anymore. Okay, so I just found out today that I scored a job and thanks to what? YOUR AWESOME FREAKIN' RECOMMENDATION LETTER! They mentioned how it was really good and that they were impressed and stuff, and I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write it!

And yes, I DID Google your name. It was the only other way I could think of, since like I said, I don't see you at school.

So once again, thanks a whole bunch, and have a good life -- wherever you are :)

Wayne said...

Hey J9. Thanks for your comment! I'm very happy to hear that you landed a job, and I'm glad my recommendation letter was helpful. Keep up the good work and people will keep writing you good recommendations! Stop by room 342 whenever you want.

- Mr. K